- To foster the development of the highest standards of library service to and for young adults, grades 6-12.
- To advocate continuous specialized young adult service to attract and retain patrons through the transition from childhood to adulthood.
- To provide young adults access to the entire range of library materials and services.
- To promote active cooperation among schools, community organizations, and public libraries.
- To provide the means for all young adults to expand the boundaries of their thinking, and to empower them to fulfill their academic, vocational, recreational and emotional needs.
- To urge all libraries to meet the standards recommended in The Key to the Future: Revised Standards for Youth Services in Public Libraries of New York State, 1994.
The mission of the Young Adult Services Division of the Suffolk County Library Assoication is: